Community Leadership Institute (CLI)
Core to the mission of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles is developing and growing a movement of the community’s next generation of movers & shakers, board members, and change agents. The Community Leadership Institute (CLI) was created to cultivate forward thinking, highly effective, and philanthropic volunteer leaders for the Federation and our Los Angeles Jewish community organizations. Now more than ever, we need a vibrant and diverse network of emerging leaders to help us solve the complex challenges facing the LA Jewish community today and for the next 50 years.
CLI is a highly selective Jewish community leadership development program for passionate young adults committed to expanding and leveraging their capacity for impact across Los Angeles.
Over 15 months, this cohort-based program will provide CLIers with the opportunities to grow their leadership skills through a unique blend of a curated curriculum, hands-on experiential learning, mentorship, high-access professional networking, and a trip to Israel. Alongside a network of other talented peers, participants graduate with a deepened understanding of how to lead systemic change and make positive impact through philanthropy and non-profit board service across Jewish Los Angeles.
“CLI has helped me refine the skills I needed to feel confident in a leadership role in my community. I have developed a lot of my leadership skills through this program’s sessions and curriculum and have found ways to apply my learnings in real life situations.” —Sarah Herman, Class of 2021, Member of Federation’s CLI Advisory Committee and President of JNFuture Board
“I learned from CLI that there is a uniquely Jewish way that you can pursue any passion or interest, and that there is likely a wonderful Jewish organization to get involved in working toward that purpose.” —Ben Feingold, Class of 2018, Member of Federation’s Birth Through High School Committee
Program components include:
- Opening Retreat
- Monthly Sessions
- Board or Committee Residency
- Professional Networking
- Group Projects
- Immersive Israel Trip
To learn more about CLI’s components, click here.
Outcomes of the program include:
- Recognize your own leadership strengths and blind spots, while developing new skills.
- Master how to be a thoughtful, strategic, and powerful philanthropist.
- Understand the Los Angeles Jewish nonprofit ecosystem and how Israel plays a role.
- Gain experience serving on a board or committee.
- Discover how our Federation functions as the heartbeat of Jewish LA.
- Get access to a network of seasoned mentors and alumni.
- Network with the city’s most successful industry professionals and emerging leaders.
- Have a meaningful Jewish experience while exploring your own identity.
- Be a part of an impressive, diverse cohort of impact driven Jewish Angelenos.
Know a leader in your community that would be a great fit for CLI? Nominate them today!
Applications are currently closed. You can email email@example.com to learn more about recruitment for our next cohort.
The Jewish Federation is committed to ensuring the public health of our participants and community. The Federation plans to launch and run the 2022-2023 CLI program entirely in-person and requires proof of vaccination upon being accepted.